Wednesday, July 27, 2011

2. The Dreamer-Unintentional Eavesdropping

Anna was lying on the floor.  The other two were sitting on the couch watching "Star Trek".  Nodding with approval, Anna sat up and waved at them.  She didn't say anything, because talking would imply she would have to explain.  And she didn't think she could explain.

"Not this again..." Michael grumbled and leaned back into the couch.  Dead center in front of him was the television.

"Um, hi?" she stood.  They ignored her.  Perhaps she was still dreaming.  She waved in front of their eyes.  Nothing changed.  She snapped her fingers right in their ear.  Nothing.  She screamed as loud as she could.

"I must not really be here.  I'm dreaming," she looked around with wide eyes, waiting for the world to fade and change.

"I love Nick with all my heart and I know you love Anna!" Julie's desperate plea got Michael's attention.  And Anna's.  She'd had no idea that Michael...but this was a dream.  He slowly turned towards her, sitting up as he did so.  One hand supported him while the rather ran through his hair.

"Yeah, I do.  I love her.  And you know what?" he waited for an answer from her, but she only shook her head.

"She's happy with Nick.  That's all I could ever hope to ask for.  If he breaks her heart I will be right there to help her heal.  Even if I'm not the one, I want her to be happy," Julie and Anna stared at Michael.  Julie was astounded because the concept of loving like that had never occurred to her.  Anna was surprised because she'd had no idea how Michael felt.

Arms wrapped around her throat and mouth.  She screamed, but even she could barely hear it.

"You are not supposed to be here," and light blinded her.


1 comment:

  1. OOoh, I'm interested to see what happens with the strangle-thing.

    On to criticisms - the dialogue says too much [which sounds absurd]. You could cut several bits ("I must not really be here", "I do love her", and most of Michael's explanation [to something like "She's happy with Nick - that's enough, that she's happy."].

    And that last "Anna was surprised..." bit could probably be cut.

    Still, very interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes. Do Anna and Michael get together for some happiness-boning?

    ReplyDelete