Friday, September 2, 2011

19. The Dreamer-Return Home

Nick was waiting in her apartment.  The air was crisp with only a hint of bleach.  Neither the counters nor the table had dishes on them, and the dishwasher was empty.  Clothes in a basket before the explosion had now been washed.  After being dried, they had been folded, or hung, appropriately.

The refrigerator had also been treated as well.  There was no gallon of milk which had turned solid at the top, cracked, and revealed liquid the colour of death.  Peaches had been spared the fate of being devoured by white and green.

The world was a carousal and she was riding alone.

"Sorry I didn't see you earlier.  I had work and class.  But I'm going to take care of you for a while now, ok?" thick arms wrapped around and she was dragged to a nest of blankets.  Her blankets, a bundle of warm fleece which snuggled around her.  Eyes closed and she faded to sleep.  A dark sleep with no dreams.

And when she awoke the world was steady.  The pain was back and threatened to crush her to the ground.  Stumbling out of bed, she saw a note on the table, next to her meds.

At work.  Back at seven.

Nick

3 comments:

  1. NICK! Why you no take time off from work to take care of your girlfriend?

    I like this, although it's a bit short. The story, as a whole, is losing just a bit of steam. Although quiet parts aren't necessarily bad, it's just a cooling off from the break-neck pace of the first 14 or so installments.

    Still, good. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize it was so short until I published it. I was using my friend's computer and the screen size is different and I thought it was my normal length. Sorry! Hopefully the lull is just about over and we can get back to drama fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete