Monday, September 12, 2011

22. The Dreamer-Some Things Have to be Seen

"Please tell me there is a damn good explanation for interrupting my "Friends" marathon," Julie huffed into Michael's back seat.  Anna leaned her head back and closed her eyes.  The world pulsed and danced with each searing flash of light.  The sharp sneer in Julie's voice drove the barbs even further.

"I don't know.  This is Anna's thing.  Are you all right?  I should just take you home," Michael kept the car idling, waiting for Anna to demand to be taken home.  His fingers twitched, ready with the urge to scoop her back into bed.  Only the knowledge that Nick wasn't there and she would be alone kept his fingers in check.

"Just take us to the restaurant.  Please," she begged.

I have to see this for myself.  Someone has to take me, someone who can be there to catch me if I fall.  And she'll be there to unleash our anger.


And...nothing.  She knew it was real.  Either that or she had died in the explosion and this was some kind of  afterlife.  Which, this version went against the religious conventions.  Nope, the light turned green and stabbed.  Michael turned, accelerated, and braked without a jar or bump.  To Anna, she felt she was being shoved and rocked around a soup can.

"Almost there," he craned to check for oncoming traffic.

"Good.  This better not take long.  Hey, is that Nick's car?"

It was, in fact, Nick's car.  Michael helped her out and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Temperature's dropping," he said to the eighty degree air.  His arm held her up and supported her.

"Welcome, table for three?" a charming blonde asked as they entered.  No trace of Italy anywhere on the staff.

"No, I think..." she peered around the corner.  Yes, there.  She recognized that family of four and beyond them was Nick.  She began to stomp towards the table he shared with the woman.  The stomp withered into a determined crawl.

"I still don't get what..." Julie was silenced by the perfect view of Nick and the woman standing.  He pulled her in for a light kiss on the lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment