Tuesday, August 16, 2011

1. Defending Earth-Why I Fight

Why do I fight?

When I was a child, my mother would tell me bedtime stories.  Stories about what life had been like before the Invasion.  About how the largest concerns had been national debts and fashion.  About social networks which enveloped people's lives and concerns.

I don't know how may of them were true.  But she's gone now, along with many who could remember before the Invasion.  Before the arrival of the Peregrinies from an unknown world beyond ours.  Some mourn this loss of history and culture.  I cannot claim this.  For me, I miss my mother.  But she's gone and no matter how many of them I kill, she will not return.

Yet I see the children, frolicking and playing in this world, the only one they have known.  The only one I have known.  And they need their mothers and fathers.  I fight so these children will not have to cry alone.  So they can know their parents and fall asleep at night to the sounds of those stories my mother told me.

Some say it is a losing battle.  They say humanity is lost, a species slowly heading towards extinction.  I cannot believe this.  They may never leave Earth and we may never be in complete control of our planet again.  But this is our home and it always will be.  And so I fight.

My name is Helena Weaver.  I am a soldier in the Coloradan Army.  We will live.  The Peregrinies will bleed for every inch of our world they take.  We will make them bleed so much they leave.  That is what I believe.  That is why I fight.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray new story! Definitely interested in seeing this play out.

    Criticisms it that you could, again, stand to be a little less explicit and more fragmented. For instance, leaving it at "But she's gone." Or "So they can know their parents. So they can have stories." or something similar.

    It's just ever so slightly too wordy - but definitely interesting. I want to hear more about Helena.

    ReplyDelete